Now the real heart of making your Lineup instance your own. Every organization is different, just as every SME or volunteer is different. You'll want to make sure that you're capturing the right data about all of those individuals. That's where custom fields come in.
Lineup offers several fields out of the box:
- Mailing Address (street, state, country, etc.)
- Phone Number
- Job Title
- LinkedIn Address
Collecting this information is always optional, of course, so if your organization does not want to track something above, you can just ignore the field.
Beyond those fields, though, you'll want to start setting up your own fields that are specific to your organization. We call these custom fields and they come in three basic varieties:
- Person Fields are fields related to an individual's profile (think demographics, but resume-like items).
- Team Fields are fields that tell us about the teams that you'll be creating.
- Tracked Fields are fields that capture important information about an individual as it relates to a team that they were on.
To start, however, let's focus on person fields.
How to set up person fields
Start by going to Admin > Custom Fields
Click on the "+ NEW PERSON FIELD" button just below the Person Fields tab. This will give you the option select the type of field you'd like to add. Lineup currently supports:
- Short Answer (single-line fields)
- Long Answer (multi-line fields)
- Star Rating
- Document Upload (available for Pro and above)
For all field types, you'll need to name it. The name will be used for internal purposes (labels in the admin UI or in reports). You can customize it when you add it to forms and surveys. The description is optional.
For number-type fields, you can optionally indicate a min and max value.
For dropdowns, checkboxes, and multi-select fields, you must add at least one value. Values are the options that are available to select for that custom field.
At the bottom, you have a few more options.
- Toggle on "Show value as tag on card" if you would like to highlight or feature this particular person field at a glance. The values will appear as turquoise tags when you view the people in searches.
- All person fields are filterable. Turn this toggle off if it's not a field that you want to search and filter on (for example, it's purely informational).
- Toggle on "Show Chart" if you want to view a the custom field on the team details page.
Tips for setting up person fields
If you're uncertain what fields to create, take a look at the current spreadsheets that you have for the people you'd like to manage in Lineup. Generally, for each column in those spreadsheets, you can create a new field.
We'll use these fields in the next step when we start adding your people to the system.