Use our Import People tool when you want to add or update a lot of people at once. This article will cover:
How to prepare your data
Your data must be formatted in a CSV. You can use your own file, or use our CSV Template. If you're formatting with Excel or Numbers, just make sure to save it as a CSV.
Each column of the CSV or spreadsheet will represent a field in Lineup. The fields that you're importing into can either be the Lineup fields or your own custom fields. Lineup fields are:
- First name (required)
- Last name (required)
- Email (required)
- Phone Number
- Job Title
- Street 1 and 2
- City, state, and postal/zipcode
- LinkedIn Address
All CSV imports must include the first name, last name, and email columns as these are required fields within Lineup.
How to upload people
To access the Import People tool, navigate to the People page, click "+ ADD PERSON" and select "Import in bulk."
1. Uploading your file
Click "Upload CSV" and browse to your prepared CSV file. Click Next.
2. Mapping your fields
Once you have uploaded your CSV, you will need to make sure to map each of your columns to the Lineup fields.
On the Map CSV columns to Lineup fields:
- CSV Column represents each column in your prepared document.
- Preview will show the first three values of the CSV document (i.e. rows 2, 3, and 4). If the cell was blank, the preview will also be blank
- Mapped Lineup Field is a drop down menu that should match the correct field in Lineup. For example, if you would like to import the "Language" column into your "Language" checkbox field, you would search and select "Language" here.
3. Preview your import
You can preview your import before you actually finalize it. The preview is divided into three tabs:
- New: People with emails that do not match anyone currently uploaded to your Lineup account. These people will be added. You can select the status on the next step.
- Updates: People with emails that match someone already uploaded to your Lineup account. Mapped fields will be updated with the new information in your CSV spreadsheet.
- If the field being updated is a checkbox or tagbox field, new values will be appended. For example, if Erik Rawle above already had "English" as a language in Lineup before this import, he will now have both "English" and "Spanish" checked after.
- Errors: Anyone without a first name, last name, or email address will appear in the error column and will not be imported or updated. Additionally, if the email address is not valid, the person will not be imported or updated.
- You will have to fix this error in your CSV spreadsheet and re-upload it.
4. Finalize your import
Once you have reviewed your import, click next to finalize it. Here, you'll need to make a few decisions.
For all the new people (i.e. the people in the new tab), decide whether their status is "Potential" or "Active." Click here to learn more about the "Potential" status.
For existing people (i.e. the people in the update tab), you can either choose to update their data, or ignore them. By default, you will update their data upon import.
5. Click the button!
Ready to import the people? Click "Import now" and go!